Strengthening Faith Institutions, Faiths Forum for London, and The Charity Commission have organised a strengthening governance event in Manchester.
The training covered the essential elements concerning the registration of faith institution with the Charity Commission. Training focused on different areas such as governance, trustee duties, financial reporting, fundraising, or transferring money to high-risk areas abroad, with the opportunity to meet Charity Commission experts.
The training took place on Sunday, 30 October, 2016, 11am-4pm, at the Manchester Multifaith Centre, Ada House, 77 Thompson Street, M4 5FY.
The event was aimed at trustees, managers, community social entrepreneurs and others involved in faith charities in Greater Manchester. The day was divided into two sessions:
1. Registering your Faith Institution – Morning Session, 11am – 1pm
- the benefits – including tax benefits – of registering as a charity
- the legal requirements for registering as a charity
- the simple process of how to register as a charity online
2. Managing your Faith Charity lawfully and effectively & Accessing Mainstream funding – Afternoon Session, 2pm – 4pm
The workshop focused on:
- to give guidance to faith charities on their responsibilities under charity law specifically; and
- To equip faith charity trustees, staff and volunteers with the skills and confidence to ensure their charities are well run, protected from abuse, and transparent.
Trustee’s duties, governance, finances and accounting, events, speakers and communication, safeguarding, and fundraising were all topics discussed during the workshop. We aim to organise more events in London and Birmingham in the near future.