Disability Matters is a fantastic e-learning resource, launched in February 2015 it is as an innovative suite of free resources to support those who work, volunteer or engage with disabled children and young people (from 0 to 25 years) and their families.
The Faiths Forum was privileged to contribute to developing this resource to provide a perspective of faith whilst ensuring this learning could be picked up by faith leaders, groups and institutions.
The resource seeks to address the barriers that make society disabling. These challenges are faced by those with either physical and/or intellectual disabilities.
Developed by disabled young people, parent carers and other experts, Disability Matters arranges individual modules into helpful bite-sized learning packages so that the training offered matches the needs of specific individuals, groups, organisations and sectors. It offers practical advice about supporting disabled children, young people and their families to achieve the outcomes that matter to them.
- To raise the profile of disability within the UK and internationally
- To increase awareness of the issues that affect the everyday lives of disabled children, young people and their families
- To help people who work, volunteer or engage with disabled young people identify with creative and practical ways to overcome the social barriers that challenge them in their everyday lives
- To equip those who work, volunteer or engage with disabled young people to support them as effectively as they can to achieve what matters most to them
- To help employers to improve the ways in which they work with and respond to disabled young people and their families by supporting their workforce – both paid and voluntary – to implement creative solutions to identifiable barriers